Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Fri Jun 17 23:48:22 EDT 2011

Hi Steve-

I was in my home in Worcester on June 1, and I got more than 50 tornado and
severe thunderstorm warnings on my Droid and in my email, so NWS Taunton was
issuing them.  In Providence, well away from the actual tornado area, WBRU
broadcast three tornado warnings and a flash flood warning between 5:17PM
and 6:57PM.

So, NWS was issuing the warnings. Did the Springfield broadcasters forward
them on? I have no way of knowing, but I hope there will be a post-mortem
among the engineering community to see what was done, what might have been
done better, and figure out how to do it.

For almost 50 years before this year's Tuscaloosa tornado eclipsed it, the
worst tornado death toll on record in the entire country was in Worcester on
June 9, 1953 - another early summer event that should have put everyone in
New England on notice that it can happen here.

-d