Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 18:54:05 EDT 2011

Anybody know if the cable companies in WMass send out an alert?
------Original Message------
From: Mark Laurence
To: Kevin Vahey
Cc: Bill O'Neill (billohno@gmail.com)
Cc: Boston Radio Interest Interest
Subject: Re: Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)
Sent: Jun 11, 2011 6:40 PM

On Jun 11, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> You CAN NOT plan for a tornado or earthquake...
>
> Now what you do after is another matter and it seems like WHYN did OK

But you CAN have a contingency plan in effect 24/7 for when a tornado
watch or warning is issued.  You can have an on-duty employee with the
capability to cut in to regular programming with a warning or news bulletin.
You don't even have to have the person at the station - just give them the
capability to dial in with a secret code and put the warning on the air.

I don't think this should be optional.  The FCC should require this as the
obligation of every licensed broadcaster.  Either put a live operator on site
at every broadcast facility while it's operating, or designate an employee
with remote emergency broadcast responsibility during all broadcast
hours.