Potential aux sites for WBZ

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jun 16 23:43:28 EDT 2011

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> I guess I omitted my conclusion, which is: WBZ's aux can't radiate
> more toward Moncton than the greater of what WBZ's main radiates
> toward Moncton or what WBZ's existing aux radiates toward Moncton.

There are a few assumptions here that I'm not sure I agree with. The
first is that the paper allotment in Moncton was designed to provide the
absolute maximum possible signal without creating interference to WBZ
inside the US. I don't believe that to be the case here. It may well be
that WBZ could show, if need be, that the hypothetical Moncton
allocation could be cranked up to some higher power level to overcome
any new interference from a relocated WBZ aux site, without causing new
interference to WBZ on US soil. Since this is merely a paper facility,
there's no compelling reason why it couldn't, if need be, be redrawn
with 4 or 6 or 12 towers rather than the 3-tower array specified.

The second assumption is that an AM auxiliary facility in the US needs
to be reported separately to Canada. A check of Industry Canada's
records (via cdbs.recnet.net) shows no auxiliary facilities reported to
Canada for WCCO, WBZ, WFAN or WCBS. I suspect - but do not know with
certainty - that as long as an auxiliary facility meets the FCC's
criteria domestically, it may not require separate reporting to Canada
or Mexico. Keep in mind that the issue with WCBS's aux vis a vis WAMG
was a domestic issue, not an international one.

I have skimmed the very long 1984 agreement between the US and Canada on
cross-border radio, which is available here:

http://transition.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/files/can-bc/can-am.pdf

I don't see anything in it, at least on a first read, that addresses
auxiliary AM facilities. (Pages 69 and 70 of the PDF seem to be the most
relevant to this discussion.)

There's one more point here about which I'm quite uncertain. It has
always been my understanding that the two directional class I-A clears,
WBZ and WWL, were considered to be directional at their own convenience
and had no obligation to actually maintain the nulls specified in their
licenses. (At least as of a few decades ago, the WBZ license did not
specify any monitoring points and I was told that the station was not
required to carry out directional proofs, there being nothing in its
null requiring protection.)

It's possible that the licensing of a fulltime 1030 in San Juan and the
transition from NARBA to the 1981 Rio agreement and the subsequent 1984
Canada/US agreement changed that, at least on an international level,
but I'm not well enough versed in international broadcast treaty law to
say for sure.