WHIL--Bob Walsh

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Jul 22 16:29:57 EDT 2011

On 7/22/2011 4:04 PM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> In an earlier post, I mentioned WHIL's AM-drive guy, whose name was--I
> think--Bob Walsh, and described him as a low-budget Jess Cain.
> Thinking about it--and not trying to take anything away from the
> incredibly talented Cain--I remembered that Walsh, in addition to
> being lucky if he were to have earned a salary 10% as large as Jess's,
> handled all of the production himself and also read the news,

Back to the old WORL for a minute.  It had some beloved personalities,
and in the early to mid 1940s, was known for the "920 Club," 15-minute
blocks of songs by popular artists.  Bob Perry was the host.  WORL (both
old and new) did not pay talent well-- they got a lot of their
announcers from broadcasting schools like Leland Powers or Cambridge
School of Broadcasting (later Grahm Jr College).  The WORL announcer I
remember as a kid was Stan Richards, who came over from WCOP when Alan
Dary left there in 1956.  Lots of amazing personalities worked for WORL
in the 50s, as has been noted, including Alan Dary, Norm Prescott, Dave
Maynard, and Norm Tulin.

As for WHIL, in addition to Maynard, I remember George Fennell was there
for a while and so was Jim Aylward.  I vaguely recall Bob Walsh, who was
there in the mid 1950s. I don't know if he's related to anyone like Ed
Walsh -- Bob Walsh could have been a house name.  I'll try to find out.