What is it with this royal wedding nonsense?

Larry Sochrin lsochrin@rcn.com
Fri Apr 29 13:13:57 EDT 2011

When I tuned in at about 7:30 this morning, they were hyping the fact
that Kate and William would be kissing on the balcony  when they got
back to the Palace after the wedding.  Commentators pointed out that
they had practiced this many times, specifically to get the camera
angles right.  One network even ran a countdown clock to the kiss in
the corner of the screen.  The clock disappeared 5 minutes before it
hit zero for good reason, since the kiss actually happened
significantly later.  I don't see how they could have rehearsed this,
since the kiss was a quick, insignificant peck.  But my guess is that
the countdown and the delay were all ways to just keep people tuned
in.  Nonsense is right, but that countdown clock worked, since it
even got me to stick with it, although I could care less.