Callsign records (was: Re: worthy competition - was Boom Boom)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Oct 30 22:30:40 EDT 2010

<<On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:25:05 -0400, "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> But from our local record-holder, AM 1150-Boston, we know that CDBS
> records can be incomplete.

We know (and have always known) that they *are* incomplete, because
(as I mentioned in my email) they only go back to 1978.  CDBS does not
contain data about call sign changes (or facility changes, for that
matter) prior to that.

The historical data in CDBS was ported over from the FCC's old
database, BAPS.  The Commission did not pay anyone to key in all the
historical data from half a century of microform records in the
National Archives.  (I'm sure Senator Proxmire would have had a fit if
they had!)

-GAWollman