worthy competition - was Boom Boom

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Oct 29 10:52:23 EDT 2010

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> But the never-ending parade (or merry-go-round) of call letters on
> 1150 has been going on for about half a century--really. Call-sign
> changes are common among stations that are perenially unable to find
> successful formats. That certainly has been the case with 1150. Its 12
> call signs put it at the top of the list of most call signs on one
> frequency in the Boston market. I have no idea just where 12 ranks
> nationally, however. My guess is not far from the top, but probably
> several places away from the very top. Maybe Scott or Garrett have a
> better idea of which US station has had the largest number of call
> signs and how many call signs it has had.

I believe the current record holder is an LPFM station near Lebanon, PA.
It's licensed to Gap, PA on 92.9, and I think the current calls are
WLRI-LP, but for a few years it was filing for new calls on almost a
monthly basis. It's not clear to me how many of those calls actually
made it on the air, since the station was apparently silent for a while.

The FCC's current list includes 20 callsigns for the station just since
2003.

And one other note, just from the nitpicky department: I am quite
certain the move from Kearny to Hackensack happened long after 970 had
given up the WAAT calls. It was either WNTA or WJRZ when the move was
made; I think the latter.