Charlie Manning replaces Rush on WRKO starting Monday

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 10:31:24 EST 2010

That actually surprises me a bit.

I would think "FunkyTown" (aka Star 937) on WMKK-HD2 would do well since the
original Star 937 did reasonably well. And I would think the smooth jazz
format on WMJX-HD2 would show up in the ratings too. WCDJ and WOAZ didn't
top the charts certainly, but had a respectable dedicated audience.

The latest public ratings for Boston even list WCBS-AM. Surely more people
must be listening to Boston HD than to a station 200 miles away.

But then again, I have two HD radios and am not objective. HD radios are
still hard to find and, except for the little portable, cost too much.

"Should we infer from this that stations are not now encoding their
secondary
HD streams? Or is this something that Arbitron does not yet report in the
"public" ratings but does report to the stations subscribing to its
service?"

I can't speak for other companies, but all our analog-plus-HD primaries, HD
secondaries and Internet streams are separately encoded.  You haven't seen
numbers for the HD secondaries in the publicly-released ratings because none
of them have enough of an audience to meet minimum reporting requirements.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040