WNAC-TV 1981

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Sun Jun 27 20:38:06 EDT 2010

It's funny - I turned 44 last week and was thinking about things from my youth. I can remember the original WHDH channel 5, watching "Romper Room" with Miss Jean and Chet Curtis on the weekend news, but other than Major Mudd not much from channel 7 on the local side. WBZ was the monster until WCVB came on the air. Most kids of the era (early 70s) cared more about reruns on 56 and 38 than news anyway.

WNEV tried to make a local commitment, much like WCVB when they came on. My brother was a regular on a kid's victory garden segment on "RTG", their morning kid's program in the 80s. And they had Bill O'Reilly on "Look" (an afternoon magazine program - I remember New Edition making their debut on that show) and Matt Lauer on "New England Today" (after O'Reilly left for New York).

Maureen Carney