Boston Radio Studios

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jun 2 01:56:29 EDT 2010

On 1 Jun 2010 at 11:21, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> When did WCOP move the studio to the Lexington xmtr? I know in 68 they
> were there and FM was run by a Gates automation system.

I remember that around 1960-61, they had automated separate classical
music programming on FM, which they said was originating from their
transmitter in Lexington.  I suspect the AM was originating from
there, too because at least two of their DJs lived in Bedford.  I
believe Paul Knight was one; I don't remember who the other one was.

In Bedford the WCOP signal was as strong as WBZ. It was a very
popular station among local teens, and their DJs were frequently
hired to do record hops at the high school.  The WMEX signal had
problems in Bedford, especially at night, when it sometimes was
overwhelmed by WKBW.  Once I saw WPTR mentioned in the school
newspaper as a station that people listened to.