WHEB-750, BANGOR 750, 1240-CAPE COD (was:I guess holiday music works)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 14:39:28 EST 2010

All in all, the shutdown of WHEB/750 back in '91 was probably one of the most stupid blunders in modern broadcast history. That was ONE beautiful signal. It covered so much real-estate from the White Mountains to Cape Cod and beyond. It was on the air since the 1930's.  The FM (WHEB-FM, ex-WPFM and again WHEB-FM) was an afterthought since the day it signed on back in '64, until they went to a AM//FM Top 40 format in the early 70's.  WHEB (once affectionately known as "Webby" back in the early days) was one of the charter stations running "American Top 40" back in 1970 as was WJTO/730 in Bath.  If only Knight saw the WHOLE picture, the AM could have survived and quite possibly would have been part of a trimulcast of WJIB!  Those lowly 1000 watts on 750 were quite effective for decades.  If I had the money, I would have bought it. I miss that 750 signal! (*sigh*)

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"

radiojunkie3@yahoo.com