WHEB-750, BANGOR 750, 1240-CAPE COD (was:I guess holiday music works)

Jibguy@aol.com Jibguy@aol.com
Sat Jan 9 13:14:41 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/9/2010 11:16:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hykker@wildblue.net writes:

Again, even if the CP could be had for a song the actual (1) buildout
and (2) operating costs of a signal that would likely serve a lot of
moose would be prohibitive.  Haven't seen the proposed pattern, but
like most new AM allocations, I'd guess that it avoids most human
population centers.
    True, it is a worthless CP, and I understand it has been up for sale
for awhile now. One thing Bangor does not need is a 50kw AM station.   I do
not believe it can be moved to the coast with high power since WJTO-730 would
be in the way.  750's 2.5mv/m cannot touch WJTO's 25 mv/m. So if 750 were
moved to the coast east of Bangor, that's a possibility,  but there are few
people there.  If 750 were moved south or southeast to the coast, then WJTO
would be a big problem, and so would 760-Worcester and 740-Cambridge.  If
anyone were to ever construct 750-Bangor, they better plan on doing it as a
tax-loss.
    Then there are those who might say "moved WJTO-730 to 750." While that
would help nighttime service (virtually non-existent now on 730), moving it
to 750 would still have the same restrictions with 740 as 730 now has in
daytime. Presently, WJTO-730 has a killer signal in Portland, and quite good on
Cape Cod, so best to leave it as is.
    Around 1990, the then out-of-state-owners (James & Hunter
Communications) of WJTO filed an app with the FCC for 10kw days and 500w at night, using
5 towers; all crammed onto the then-11-acres WJTO property on the ocean
inlet. FCC accepted it, but local zoning folks would not have approved it.
James & Hunter went into bankruptcy around the same time (the JTO app probably
helped in that regard) and WJTO and WKRH-FM were both off the air for 11
months.
    As to WHEB-750; true, the tower came down in exhange for a taller FM
tower. However, 750 could have stayed on the taller tower with skirting along
the FM tower... something that the then-owners figured was too expensive and
not worth it at the time. Cost for that would have been around $25k;
something that I certainly would have been willing to do. But then again, I see
more value of AM daytimers on low frequencies than most bigger operators do.
    As to 1240 on Cape Cod, it went up for sale for $200k back in the pit
of the 90's recession. No bites, therefore Ernie Boch figured he'd donate it
to BU. I thought that price was way too high.... had he just wanted $50k for
it, I would have bit. Would be nice to have a WJIB repeater on Cape Cod.
But rebroadcasting WBUR on it, as is being done presently, is a superior use
for the 1240 station too.