WHEB-750, BANGOR 750, 1240-CAPE COD (was:I guess holiday music works)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Jan 9 15:19:43 EST 2010

The CP has call letters assigned--WRME (probably meant to stand for
Radio Maine; alas, if the station is ever constructed and the call
letters aren't changed, it will be known to most people as Wormy). The
day pattern would obviously not be a problem--it's 50 kW ND. The night
pattern (synthesized with a rather standard four-tower parallelogram
array) is basically a teardrop with the max field (~70 kW ND
equivalent) to the southeast--specifically, at 138 degrees. There is a
decent minor lobe to the northwest, equivalent to almost 5 kW ND with
the local maximum at 313 degrees. I do not know what the NIF is but
the distance from WSB is 1119 miles, suggesting that the NIF would be
respectable. WCRN is 1086 miles from WCCO and WCRN's NIF is about 10.5
mV/m.

As for no overlap of second-adjacent 2.5 and 25 mV/m contours, that
rule was changed probably 25 years ago. The current rule is no overlap
of 5 mV/m contours. Hence we have WCRN so close to WEEI. There was
also the granted (but never built) CP to move what later became WJIB
to what became the 890 site in Ashland. From there, 740 would have run
2.5 kW using a five-tower teardrop pattern having its maximum to the
east. The lobes behind thay pattern were appreciable, however. Had
there been prohibited overlap between the 740 and WVNE, the FCC would
not have granted the CP.

Since WRME is not on the air, I suspect that the usual FCC hassles
related to eliminating the community's first local service would not
apply if Bob were to buy the allocation and move it to Bath to upgrade
WJTO. On 750, WJTO could remain a Class D but would receive a lot less
interference from WSB than it receives from CKAC. But on 750, WJTO
would have to protect WVNE by day. I assume that could be done with
two towers and the present 1 kW. The problem is that the signal in
Portland would be severely degraded, so I think Bob would find the
idea unacceptable. A pattern that protected WVNE by day would,
however, protect WSB to some extent at night and would therefore allow
WJTO to run somewhat more than the 8W at night that I estimate it
would be allowed if it ran ND at night on 750.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367