Emergency Preparedness [ was Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology" ]

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Mon Aug 23 23:22:25 EDT 2010

Hi John-

It continues to amaze me that nobody thought to send out an EAS alert on
9/11. So many people responded in thoughtful and considered ways, given the
magnitude of the event.

One thing that comes to mind is the PATH Train folks who stopped the
Exchange Place outbounds immediately and sent the ones that were already in
the tunnel straight through the WTC loop and back without stopping.  That
must have PO'd the passengers until they got to street level in NJ.  Quick
and admirable thinking, made possible by good communications.

9/11 and Katrina resulted in a big increase in aux sites for broadcasters,
particularly in major markets.  It seems like hardly a week goes by without
at least one new aux site being licensed someplace.

On balance, I think it is easier and more secure to have a main site backed
up by one or two aux sites than to maintain a large array of low power
cellular sites, even though the loss of a single cell site or a small group
of cell sites is relatively less costly to the coverage. I can cut a deal
with a couple of fuel suppliers to deliver off-road diesel to two or three
sites a lot easier than a hundred cell sites. And I might even be able to
provide two different power mains suppliers to a big site.

-d