Emergency Preparedness [ was Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology" ]

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Aug 24 07:27:26 EDT 2010

>>It continues to amaze me that nobody thought to send out an EAS alert on 9/11.<<

It shouldn't amaze anyone.  EAS is not designed to be used when the threat is unknown, and on that morning hard facts about what was happening were all too few.  The attacks were limited to two very small geographic areas, and in the absence of any indications of attacks on a broader scale there would have been no sense sending out alerts under those conditions.  The only predictable result of doing so would have been widespread panic and a serious erosion of whatever public trust there is in the system.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040