Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Mon Aug 23 02:33:51 EDT 2010

> If I want an FM radio, I'll get one.

The standalone radio market tanked about ten years ago. It's pretty hard to
find a dedicated analog radio receiver any more. Radio Shack has a model or
three, but that's about it.

> Well, I don't understand why I should be required to get an FM radio with
> my next cell phone.

Many if not most cell phones are worldwide models and already include FM
receivers due to regulatory requirements overseas. The FM tuners are just
turned off here in the US.  So whether or not you want to pay for it, you
already have the capability to receive FM on your cell phone. The receiver
chips are miniscule and consume micro-Watts.

The primary problem would appear to be that the cell carriers don't want to
pay royalties, because they would have to pass that cost along to their
customers.

-d