Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Mon Aug 23 19:05:10 EDT 2010

It is really , really nice to have one device that replaces many devices. A
good example is that the camera & camcorder are close to being replaced by
the cellphone. And the screens are almost large enough to see some of the
internet. Phones won't ever replace a PC or laptop, but they'll make inroads
and I can imagine bye, bye standalone GPS in favor of a phone with a very
good built-in GPS sometime in the very near future.

If the cellphone has an FM radio already, that's fine, I'd use it. But to
legislate it, is too much. If they want to require FM, why not add AM also.
(Maybe the AM chip is too $$?)
And, could you slip in TV audio, Shortwave(don't forget upper & lower
sideband for the utility stations), and a police scanner also--<grin> but
they all could probably be added fairly easily.

As far as FM radio outdated, that comment is out of touch with reality. FM
stations might not be making as much money as in years past, and some may
even go dark in years to come, and maybe digital service will grow, but
analog FM will be here for many years.

What are the royalties details and their costs?

Mark Casey, K1MAP