WHMP on FM

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Sep 14 20:42:42 EDT 2009

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> When I asked my friend, he said the word came down from their attorney
> that this was how the station was to be ID'd... I've heard Ams who ID
> the translator every hour, calls and all.. maybe the attorney was just
> being on the safe side.. there's nothing wrong with going "WXYA Anytown,
> W300ZZ Anytown" every hour, or burying "w300zzanytown" in between
> comemrcials and runnnig the AM ID at the top of hour.

There's nothing wrong with playing it safe, no...but if we're going to
talk about what the rules actually are, and not just what "my friend
told me," it's helpful to look at what the rules actually are, straight
from the FCC's mouth.

The AM translator rulemaking is here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-09-59A1.pdf

...and the end of paragraph 22 on page 11 is the relevant passage:

"With respect to the issue of “conforming” call signs, adopting the
proposed call sign naming system would be contrary to the current system
utilized by other translator stations. Moreover, because the current
system for FM booster call sign selection allows for conforming call
signs, allowing FM translators also to conform their call signs could
prompt potential conflicts with FM booster call signs. Therefore, we
will continue to use the same translator call sign system in place for
FM stations. Stations using fill-in FM translators can and do promote
the availability of those translators with on-air announcements on their
primary stations and other promotional techniques."

Read on to the "implementation" section at the end, where the FCC tells
us what changes it's actually making to its existing rules, and you'll
see that 74.1283, the section that governs on-air identification, isn't
changed by the translator rulemaking.

If I were an AM station running an FM translator, I'd be using hourly
inaudible FSK IDing for the translator callsign - and calling it
"WSDF-FM" the rest of the hour on the air. Why confuse listeners with
the meaningless gibberish of "W245QJ, Anytown"? (And remember, I'm a
legal-ID geek here...)