Fundraising drive on commercial radio WIZZ-1520 (Greenfield, MA)

D dav2149@comcast.net
Mon Sep 14 15:06:20 EDT 2009

When  driving in western MA., I’ve always looked forward to listening
to WIZZ (a great mix of oldies and American standards). I’m delighted
they are now on the internet (http://WIZZradio.com), and at home here
in Wellesley I listen all the time. This summer they have been having
a “financial campaign” to raise money for a shortcoming in their
budget. They make it clear that this is not an annual event but a one-
time thing (due to the economy). They don’t have a goal but they do
say that any “extra money” will go toward a new transmitter(on the
morning show a few days ago they said that their old xmtr costs $1550
a month for electricity and a new one will cost half that).
Listeners’ contributions are acknowledged on the air (name but not
amount), and we’re kept informed of how things are going (this past
week they had appraisers come in as they are looking to re-finance
and that went well).
I’m just wondering if any other commercial, New England stations have
done fundraising drives (besides WJIB). Unlike WJIB, WIZZ airs
commercials, too. For my listening tastes WIZZ is the perfect station
(great music 24/7 and only one DJ (Phil D. who hosts the 6:30-9am
slot, who I believe is the owner and does a great job with a style
similar to Bob Steele’s old show on WTIC). I am happy to contribute
because I like the station so much and am always listening. I can’t
wait until internet radio is available for the car. I thought I read
last winter that something would be available summer ’09, but when I
inquire at car radio installers (e.g.,Rich’s Car Tunes, Watertown)
they seem to think it’ll be a long time coming. Does anyone have info
on this? (When I google, I get this - http://gizmodo.com/5123673/
worlds-first-internet-car-radio-would-go-perfectly-in-kitts-dashboard
I don’t want an entire in-dash unit, I just want something that can
be added to the radio I have now. In the meantime would putting a
laptop with a wireless card on the passenger seat work? I am
desperate for some decent radio listening when in the car if I’m in
the Boston area).
David Wilson