890 WAMG (ESPN) to launch new format Monday

Jeff Lehmann jjlehmann@comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 16:18:45 EDT 2009

> The logical guess would be 1260, but Disney is just as committed to
> the Radio Disney format as they are to ESPN Radio.  I haven't tuned
> into WMKI since my son aged out of it, but they used to have quite a
> few local sponsors, including Jordan's Furniture.  They also were
> promotionally active.  They shared a station vehicle with the RD
> station in Providence, and I would see it throughout Metrowest.  Radio
> Disney does have a 24/7 channel on both Sirius and XM, so it's
> possible they'll sacrifice 1260 for ESPN, figuring most mom's cruising
> around in their late model minivans probably have satellite radios in
> their dashboards.

In my opinion, they're certainly not gaining anything if they went to 1260,
except maybe right in Boston. I think in most of the market, 1260 is worse
than 890, especially at night. Maybe ESPN just realizes that they can't
compete with WEEI and The Sports Hub, and they're giving up. If that's the
case, maybe WEEI would pick up ESPN again overnights, since I believe they
still have a live show after 1 AM, where Fox does not.

Someone pointed out that the ESPNChicago.com website is not completely
dependent on 1000 WMVP, that's just a small portion of the site.

Jeff Lehmann
Hanson, MA