890 WAMG (ESPN) to launch new format Monday

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Sep 11 16:17:23 EDT 2009

Please explain why 1260 would be a better facility for any programming
in this market other than an urban format. That signal would do well
with a solid-gold soul format--unless the listeners to such a format
are now just too old. The signal is really poor everywhere except for
Dorchester, Mattapan, Milton, Quincy and maybe a few places on the
North Shore where the siganl arrives via salt water all the way. In
those areas, the signal is actually excellent.

As for 890, my best guess is ESPN Deportes. MetroWest doesn't have
just Portuguese speakers; there are still plenty of Hispanics there.
And of course, 890 and 1400 have been joined at the hip for a decade
now. One of 1400's transmitters is right in downtown Lawrence where
Hspanics substantially outnumber Anglophones.

Remember, when you talk about 890 and 1260 swapping formats, you are
talking about a swap between stations that are not co-owned. Disney
owns 1260; Waller Sutton owns 890, I believe.

And of course, who is to say that these format flips are going to make
any sense at all?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367