WCRB website down

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 22:27:02 EST 2009

> From: "Richard Chonak" <rac@gabrielmass.com>
> To: "'bri'" <bri@bostonradio.org>
> Monday, November 30, 2009 6:01 PM
>
> Scott Fybush wrote:
>>
>> That's the existing stream of 89.7-HD2, which
>> will be // 99.5 tomorrow morning...
>
> Is it somewhat of a waste to have 89.7-HD2 and
> 99.5-HD airing the same programming?

No, because the location of the 99.5 transmitter
in Andover results in spotty reception in metro
Boston and the west suburbs, and poor to none at
all in the south suburbs.

The Blue Hill location of the 89.7 transmitter
does a great job of covering metro Boston and
the west and south suburbs. Many people who can
not hear 99.5 analog clearly (or 99.5 HD at all)
in metro Boston and to the south will be able to
hear it on 89.7 HD2 from Blue Hill.

The two locations are actually very complementary
to one another for serving the all of the Boston
market from north (99.5) to south (89.7) in HD.

I just had to buy my mom an HD radio so that she
could continue to listen to classical on 89.7 HD2.
There's a hill behind her house in Newton blocking
clear reception of 99.5 from 25 miles away to the
north in Andover on all of her analog home radios.

However, I was pleased to find that the "iLuv" HD
clock radio has the best HD tuner I've heard yet.
I knew it would have no problem with 89.7 HD2 in
Newton, but it also gets 99.5 in HD despite the
hill blocking the signal! It also has no problem
with the Boston HD3 signals even six miles away
behind the hill. My Sangean won't decode HD3's at
all at my Somerville apartment three miles line
of sight of the Pru. I'm planning to replace my
Sangean with an "iLuv" radio this week while my
20% off coupon at You-Do-It Electronics is good.

EP