The new WGBH lineup

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:23:09 EST 2009

The GBH schedule seems to say that some classical may run for a day or two past 12/1 on 89.7--perhaps with frequent mentions
that "starting in a few days, tune to 99.5" and yes, the schedule would be in flux for a couple weeks.

Globe article; the loss of folk and blues mentioned in a sidebar. Read the comments; complaints about losing these shows, worries about not being able to pick up 99.5 for many (check out the coverage map on the GBH site--south of Boston? Out of luck)

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/11/18/gbh_takeover_of_crb_alters_more_than_letters/

I made the following comment:

"Looking ahead at the schedule page on WGBH's site, we see that several shows that WBUR carries will also be heard on WGBH. Why? Unnecessary duplication. The move to dump the folk and blues shows is sad and I hope they'll reconsider. The blues show was started in '78 by the late Mai Cramer. Both shows ran for many years and exposed great music to many. I have done a long running blues show on a North Shore station, but our 130 watts is nothing compared to WGBH's 100,000 watts. It's sad."

(and in reply to one of the Globe article comments by someone who hoped Carlo would stay):
"I believe Carlo may still be part of the new WCRB. On their sched page when you look up Dec 6 you will see Laura Carlo 5-9 am, Cathy Fuller 9a-1p, In Performance at 1, Ray Brown 2-6 etc"