Older demos - WAS: Change in New York Radio (again)

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Mar 11 07:12:24 EDT 2009

>>I've been somewhat noisily saying for several years that the 54+ crowd
(which includes yours truly) is the forgotten demographic in radio
broadcasting.  We're here, and we're HUGE.  Why is it there are seemingly
very few stations around that play the music of our '50s and '60s
adolescence?   Is there no ad revenue to be made from this??  Gimme a break.<<

The issue is not whether or not the 55+ crowd buys products.  In fact, there's some data to suggest that the 55+'ers are more easily able to buy big-ticket items like luxury cars, cruises, etc.

The issue is that ad agencies and rep firms, which place a substantial percentage of the advertising on major-market radio stations, are convinced that older people are more set in their buying habits and are less easily persuaded by advertising to try new products (except, of course, for those products that would have a specific appeal to that age group).  I have yet to see any reliable data to either prove or disprove that belief, but until someone can convince them otherwise, you won't see music formats geared to the 55+ set in large markets when there's (in their view) much more money to be made from a music format with a younger demographic appeal.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040