Change in New York Radio (again)

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 11 11:34:29 EDT 2009

From: Roger Kirk <rogerkirk@ttlc.net>

> Garrett Wollman wrote:
> > <<On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:55:55 -0400, Roger Kirk <rogerkirk@ttlc.net>
said:

> >> What demo issues?
> >>

> > Too many people over the age of 54 listening.
> >
> > -GAWollman
> >
> I find that interesting, because my wife & I have noticed over the past
> few weeks that 103.3 is now playing older songs i.e. much earlier in the
> 60's than they have in the past couple of years.  Example: "Beyond The
> Sea" by Bobby Darin.  That would attract those pesky 54+ demos (I'm 61)
> like moths to a porch light.

Same thing's been happening at WDRC-FM Hartford, with early '60s and '50s
songs returning. Ever since the "Big D, A to Z" blowout of early January,
moldy oldies from the depths of the DRC hard drive have been finding their
way into the daily playist. "The Stroll," "All I Have to Do Is Dream,"
"Short Shorts" ... only one an hour, and not every hour, but they're still
there, and they weren't being played at all outside of the weekend request
shows or specials a year ago. If the 54+ audience is so toxic to the bottom
line, why bother to program even two and a half minutes an hour for it?
Could quack (aka "natural") medicine, retirement communities and hospitals
be the only entities still advertising on radio at pre-recession levels,
meaning these stations need to keep the older listeners around to get those
advertisers to buy more spots?

Howard