Change in New York Radio (again)

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 11 12:30:16 EDT 2009

From: Sean Smyth <sean.smyth@yahoo.com>

> On Wed, 3/11/09, A. Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> wrote:
> > Could it be that someone has figured out that us older
> > folks may
> > actually BUY PRODUCTS?
>
> But as Bob Bittner has said many times, you won't go into obscene debt to
buy those things and overextend yourselves.

> Now that us younger folk have less access to the credit spigot, I'm
thinking the advertising equation (provided companies aren't shortsighted
and halt advertising) may become a bit more sensible.

I think that shortsightedness is part of the problem. The bromide used to be
that advertisers were "fleeing (print/radio/television/outdoor) for the
Internet." Now  it seems many of them just aren't advertising at all, having
retreated into survival mode. I suppose it's tough to justify any
advertising budget when you've got a well-known product or business but the
wolf is at the door. Brand awareness/reinforcement takes a back seat to
profit margin at that point, I'd imagine.

Howard