very thorough interview with Rachel Maddow

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Mar 9 21:26:45 EDT 2009

At 06:16 PM 3/9/2009, you wrote:

>I'm as big a Rachel Maddow booster as anyone - indeed, I find her
>show more enjoyable than Olbermann's much of the time - but the raw
>viewer numbers, at least, are not kind to the MSNBC lineup and
>haven't been for a couple of months now.

But Keith regularly beats CNN in his daypart, and Rachel has been in
a horse race with Larry King.  On the other hand, Scott is correct in
pointing out that neither Keith nor Rachel comes close to the
viewership of Fox (whose audience seems to skew much older, btw--
Rachel at least has been attracting a younger demo to her show, which
is something neither Keith nor O'Reilly has been able to do). I think
given that many cable systems do in fact make it tough to find or get
MSNBC, and given that at this point in time, the left and the
progressives are not as motivated as the right and the conservatives
are to seek out angry opinion shows, the drop in MSNBC's numbers is
not shocking.  I think MSNBC expected to be down somewhat, but they
still have a solid niche and their advertisers are continuing to
support them-- and that means both the night time leftie political
shows, and the conservative morning show that Joe Scarborough has
been doing.  I don't think we should be writing the obit for MSNBC just yet.