UHF is more robust than VHF (was Re: Digital TV receptionproblem)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jun 21 01:50:58 EDT 2009

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> FWIW, I've found that here in Brookline, a UHF antenna is perfectly
> fine for picking up channel 7 on RF 7, and a VHF antenna is perfectly
> fine for picking up most of the UHF digital stations.

I suspect the signal levels on both 7 and the UHFs are high enough where
you are - as they are here at Casa Fybush, 4300 feet from Pinnacle Hill
in Rochester - that any random small piece of metal will more than
suffice to deliver enough signal to the tuner.

I'm using an old UHF loop behind my Sony in the living room and having
no trouble with VHF 10 and 13 here...but my experience (and yours)
differs greatly from most of the rest of America!