UHF is more robust than VHF (was Re: Digital TV receptionproblem)

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jun 21 01:39:37 EDT 2009

On 20 Jun 2009 at 22:07, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> My experience is that, even though the "signal-strength meters"
> indicate that the Channel 7 DTV dignals are substantially weaker than
> the Channel 42 signals (displayed strength of ~68 for Channel 7 vs ~94
> for Channel 42), the VHF signals are less variable in intensity and
> hence less subject to pixellation and audio dropouts. For users of
> indoor antennas (like me) the downside is that the large VHF rabbit
> ears are more intrusive than the UHF loops.

FWIW, I've found that here in Brookline, a UHF antenna is perfectly
fine for picking up channel 7 on RF 7, and a VHF antenna is perfectly
fine for picking up most of the UHF digital stations.