The old WUPY Lynn tower?

Paul B. Walker, Jr. walkerbroadcasting@gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:18:33 EDT 2009

>From Bostonradio.org:

http://www.bostonradio.org/stations/40824

The next North Shore FM entry came on August 1, 1961, when Harvey Sheldon
put WUPY (105.3 Lynn) on the air, playing jazz music.

WUPY ran 1.4 kW from a transmitter site off Route 1 in Peabody and studios
at 23 Central Avenue in Lynn. Its main claim to fame during its short life
was as one of the first Boston-area FM stations to broadcast in multiplex
stereo. After a brief silent period, Sheldon changed the station's calls to
WUPI, but that, too, was short-lived, and 105.3 was silent by the time the
next North Shore FM made its debut.

On August 1, 1963, Puritan Broadcasting Service Inc. put WLYN-FM (101.7
Lynn) on the air. Unlike the failed WUPY/WUPI, WLYN-FM had the support of an
AM sister station, WLYN (1360), whose programming it simulcast during
daylight hours. WLYN-FM started out 1 kW at 175 feet (later increased to 3
kW/170 ft) from the AM 1360 tower off Route 107. Both stations' studios were
at 156 Broad Street in Lynn.

--
Sincerely,
Paul B. Walker, Jr.