Radio and Records to Close?????

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 16:46:44 EDT 2009

Dave Tomm wrote:

> They don't want to pay for the staff needed to keep the site up and
> running.  R&R's site is just an add on to the dead tree version.

   According to the R&R timeline in the closing story I read  no more than
15 minutes prior to this post on their website (which now appears to be gone
as of this post) and also from Wikipedia, the last edition published on
newsprint was August 4th, 2006. It appears they've been on-line only since
then.

   Also,Wikipedia mentions that Casey Kasem's "Casey's Top 40" shows used
the R&R CHR/Pop charts from 1989 to 1998, and "American Top 40" used these
same charts from March 1998 to January 2004, save for the period between
October 2000 & August 2001. Currently,  Ryan Seacrest's "AT 40" and Kasem's
"AT 20" (Hot AC countdown show) uses info from Mediabase 24/7. For years "AT
40" used the Billboard charts, I don't know if any of the other shows ever
did. Did R&R or Billboard ever get any financial compensation from the
producers of the countdown shows in exchange for the use of the chart info,
or does Mediabase 24/7 get any compensation for the use of their info on the
countdown programs? If R&R was receiving money for the use of their chart
info, the switch to Mediabase or other charts may have hurt their wallet.

Mark Watson