750 CP's

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Jun 3 09:14:03 EDT 2009

The WRKO site sits atop the wells that constitute the water supply for
the Town of Burlington. My understanding is that covenants in the deed
prohibit ANY further construction at the site. I even wonder whether
it would be permissible to replace an existing tower, should that ever
become necessary because of age and normal wear and tear. But if you
want to ignore the realities of the situation and speculate on the
technical feasibility of a 680/750 diplex, the frequency separation,
9.33% of the higher carrier frequency, is right at the lower edge of
what is considered feasible for an AM diplex. The rule of thumb used
to be that the stations' frequencies had to differ by at least 10% of
the higher carrier frequency. That rule is none too conservative, but
it has been violated before--and by high-powered directional
stations--so technically, a 680/750 diplex could work--as long as the
citizens of Burlington had no objection to having their town become
the Sahara Desert of the East;>(. Remember, though, that if WRKO had
to make any significant modifcation to its facilities, the FCC would
invoke the ratchet rule, which would result in loss of coverage to
which Entercom would object. As I understand it, the combination of
the deed covenants on the Burlington site and the invocation of the
ratchet rule put the kibosh on an 850 move to Burlington, which
American Radio Systems, then owner of 680 and 850, actually began to
work on a decade or more ago. Were it not for the ratchet rule, such a
move would have been beneficial to 850 everywhere except in the
Wellesley-Needham area at night.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367