WBCN to sports at 98.5; WBMX to 104.1

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Jul 21 00:41:30 EDT 2009

Looks as if the applied-for power increase is all she wrote. It would
boost WKAF to the Class A maximum of the equivalent of 6 kW @ 100m
AAT. Remember that when the A Class was created, the limit was the
equivalent of 1 kW @ 250', which translates to 580W at 100m. So the
Class A maximum power has grown by more than 10x (or more than 10 dB)
over the years, whereas the maximum power of Class Bs has grown from
20 kW @ 500' to only 50 kW @ 150m., which is a factor of less than
2.5x (or less than 4 dB), if my calculations are correct. What limited
WKAF to only 1.7 kW @ 569' after its move to Great Blue Hill? The
former WINQ, Winchendon, now moved, I believe, to Keene NH? WOKQ?
Somebody here knows, I'm sure.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@mail.com>
To: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>; "Dan.Strassberg"
<dan.strassberg@att.net>
Cc: "Boston Radio Group" <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: WBCN to sports at 98.5; WBMX to 104.1

For what it's worth, WKAF has applied to the FCC for a power boost
from 1,700 watts to a little more
than 2,000 watts from the same transmitter site and with the same
altitude, etc.   The contour map
at fcc.gov shows that the primary signal will float northward from
south of Woburn center to include
it in its coverage area, and it will move northeastward from Saugus to
Lynn!  Whoopee.
Maybe Entercomm plans to apply for power increases every year until
the signal reaches Methuen;  ok,
it already does, but subject to splatter from WOKQ.