Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jul 15 01:40:10 EDT 2009

On 14 Jul 2009 at 17:39, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Gotta happen! Can't have the 'BZ calls on analog FM on one frequency
> and the 'BZ brand on an HD-n subchannel of a station on a different
> frequency. Too confusing! Of course, it would be even less confusing
> if the analog FM were a simulcast of the similarly branded analog AM.
> Isn't that what CBS has with all-news KCBS A/F in San Francisco. And
> didn't the simulcast give KCBS a sizeable ratings bunp?

What is the rationale for an AM-FM simulcast in the same market
nowadays?  I know why they did it in the old days, when there were
few FM listeners, but with essentially all listeners having both AM
and FM, why do this today?