Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 17:04:04 EDT 2009

I have to wonder if CBS suits may have a long term plan depending on
how the sports format flies.

By using the calls WBZ-FM for sports and the format shows promise you
could then see moving local news and talk to FM and all sports to
1030. By doing that an all sports signal on 1030 could compete against
WEEI in Providence-Portland-Springfield without local repeaters and
news junkies would simply move to FM.

CBS has used the clear channel blowtorches at WFAN and WSCR to carry
sports so I can not discount them doing the same in Boston.
I question why CBS have never moved WIP to 1210 to improve signal
problems in Jersey.

Who can we expect at BZ-FM? Lobel almost certainly will surface there
and with the Bruins connection you can not discount Dale Arnold ( back
with Newmie? ) Felger will be in the mix and Mike Adams is in the
catbird seat as well. Sean McDonough could surface and maybe a return
of Eddie on Sunday at Wyoming Blasting and Zoning :). I would not rule
out Jimmy Myers either or Ted Nation.

I would expect BZ-FM to land Patriots Monday because they could clear
the Revolution which is what the Krafts demand from WEEI to get access
to the Pats.

Finally there is the little matter of the Red Sox Entercom is getting
killed with that deal as one can tell by the amount of open avails on
the Sox network. Reduced billings at EEI will not help their boottom
line.

This is going to be a bloodbath