Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 17:32:58 EDT 2009

Kevin Vahey wrote:

>I have to wonder if CBS suits may have a long term plan depending on
> how the sports format flies.
>
> By using the calls WBZ-FM for sports and the format shows promise you
> could then see moving local news and talk to FM and all sports to
> 1030. By doing that an all sports signal on 1030 could compete against
> WEEI in Providence-Portland-Springfield without local repeaters and
> news junkies would simply move to FM.

   IMHO I don't see that happening right away, if at all. The new all sports
WBZ-FM should put a dent in WEEI's ratings. In fact, WCVB had it as the 4th
story in the 5 o'clock news, Liz Brunner closed out the report by stating
"they'll be going head to head with WEEI, this should be a bloodbath". ( I
wonder if Liz read Kevin's post before her report? ) <g>

> Who can we expect at BZ-FM? Lobel almost certainly will surface there
> and with the Bruins connection you can not discount Dale Arnold ( back
> with Newmie? ) Felger will be in the mix and Mike Adams is in the
> catbird seat as well. Sean McDonough could surface and maybe a return
> of Eddie on Sunday at Wyoming Blasting and Zoning :). I would not rule
> out Jimmy Myers either or Ted Nation.

   I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the names you mentioned surface on
BZ-FM. I also wouldn't be surprised if the  Andleman brothers' "Phantom
Gourmet" radio show ends up on BZ-FM (it's currently on WTKK) since the TV
version airs on CBS-owned WSBK.

> I would expect BZ-FM to land Patriots Monday because they could clear
> the Revolution which is what the Krafts demand from WEEI to get access
> to the Pats.

   Would BZ-FM be willing to air soccer games just to have a Partiots talk
show? Obviously they didn't want to air soccer on WBCN, thus WEEI was
willing to carry just to have that show. But now that may change. Plus
remember on the TV side, CBS managed to grab the "Patriots All Access" show
away from WCVB, so I'd expect them to snatch the soccer from 'EEI to have
all the "official" Patriots shows on both the radio & TV side.

> Finally there is the little matter of the Red Sox Entercom is getting
> killed with that deal as one can tell by the amount of open avails on
> the Sox network. Reduced billings at EEI will not help their boottom line.

   As has been discussed here in the past, Entercom is taking a bath in red
ink, the tanking economy certainly not helping. CBS will most likely go
after the Sox when the contract is up. But will Entercom negotiate a way out
of the Sox deal if they keep bleeding red ink?

Mark Watson