Breaking News: 98.5 becomes All Sports WBZ-FM

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jul 14 18:28:47 EDT 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Gotta happen! Can't have the 'BZ calls on analog FM on one frequency
> and the 'BZ brand on an HD-n subchannel of a station on a different
> frequency. Too confusing! Of course, it would be even less confusing
> if the analog FM were a simulcast of the similarly branded analog AM.
> Isn't that what CBS has with all-news KCBS A/F in San Francisco. And
> didn't the simulcast give KCBS a sizeable ratings bunp?

The "BZ brand" will continue to be closely tied exclusively to 1030, I
expect. I don't think you'll hear "WBZ" mentioned much on 98.5 except at
the top of the hour. It appears that the branding will be "Sports Hub."
The only reason it's getting the WBZ-FM calls is...well, because they
can. In a PPM world, it really doesn't matter what the calls are, as
long as the green light on the encoder stays on.