Unintended Amusing side effects of RDS and its digital equivalent

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jul 1 21:00:02 EDT 2009

>>The one that
really stopped me was listening to the 60's on 6.  The display said that the
Delfonics were singing "Didn't I Blow You".  It took me a few minutes to
remember that the correct song title was "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This
Time".  I wonder if the folks programming the titles ever stop to think
about the displays.<<

There are, on the XM fan message boards, many postings about what happens when long titles meet up with character-challenged radios (many of the older radios will only display 16 characters at a time), and some of the results are downright hilarious.  James Brown's classic "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" comes out as "Papa's Got A Bra," and Bobby Darin's "If I Were A Carpenter" becomes "If I Were A Carp."  The air personalities on SiriusXM-6 even work those funny titles into their patter.  So, it's not surprising that some of this occurs on RDS titles too.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040