The Great Class-D Clearance

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:30:22 EST 2009

Actually, the main reason WBRS couldn't keep using 91.7 due to I.F.
spacing issues with 102.5 WCRB (now WKLB).  But the plethora of other
stations on 91.5, 91.7 and 91.9 sure didn't help.

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

 > On 10 Jan 2009 at 0:00, Eli Polonsky wrote:
 >> Both WRBB and WBRS didn't move into the commercial band
 >> (104.9 and 100.1 respectively) until the mid-1980s, I
 >> think it was 1986, leaving WMWM Salem the only occupant
 >> of 91.7 that can be heard (faintly) in Boston proper,
 >> between splash from adjacents WMFO 91.5 and WUMB 91.9.

 > What was the reason for the move?

A bunch of large noncommercial broadcasters persuaded the FCC to kick
all the class-D FMs off the noncomm band, if they were unable to
upgrade to minimal class-A facilities.  WRBB and WBRS were not able to
upgrade (due to the presence of those first-adjacents) and had to
relocate or lose their licenses.  WMBR was able to upgrade, thanks to
one Robert E. Turner.

-GAWollman