DTV Emergency Recievers... Nope.

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:32:19 EST 2009

Scott Fybush, in his venerable 15th Anniversary NERW issue writes on the
DTV coverage issue: /"From a technical standpoint, that premise is
laughable: even analog television has massive coverage challenges in
remote areas such as northern New England, the Adirondacks and
Appalachia, and digital television - which will be the nation's sole TV
standard soon enough, even if politics delays the scheduled shutoff date
next month - brings with it even more issues, including the near-absence
of battery-operated receivers."/

About five months ago, I went to RadioShack to buy a new emergency radio
(AM/FM/TV/WX).  I asked the clerk what the plan was for Tandy to put out
a radio that would receive the digital TV audio signals, reminding him
that the TV band on this radio would become useless by 2/09.  The poor
guy scratched his head and said that he had "absolutely zero idea about
that" and then wandered off, muttering aloud to self with his hand on
his chin, shaking his head.

Here in the Champlain Valley, power outages in storms are relatively
common (compared to my days in greater Boston.)  With the dearth of
local radio to tell you anything even on sunny days, the only audio
source worth anything is that of the local TV affiliates who have a
weather department on duty.  Many a time the WPTZ TV (5) and WCAX TV (3)
audio was the only relevant (live) local weather and emergency source
with the rare exception of WDEV radio.  After February, that becomes one
less link in the air chain.

The good news is that the world is becoming a safer, peaceful, more
predictable place in which to live; access to local (non-web-based)
media will be more and more unnecessary.  That's a relief.

Bill O'Neill