KSCO, like WJIB, a commercial station asking for donations

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 12 14:55:03 EST 2009

Alan Tolz wrote:
> If WRBB wanted to move back to the non-com part of the dial, could they
> do it, technically?  If so, what frequency?  Also, is it possible for
> them to use 87.7 if Channel 6 in Providence turns its analog audio off,
> or is there an LP TV channel 6 in the way?

87.7 is not part of the FM band, so no, WRBB can't move there.

87.9 ("channel 200") is, but it is subject to numerous restrictions on
its use, including a flat prohibition on operation within a fairly wide
swath of the US-Canadian border, that would make it unavailable in
Boston even if WMBR on 88.1 weren't already in the way.

WRBB can't go back to its old 91.7 spot, since WUMB on 91.9 is now in
the way. I think someone on the list (Aaron, was it you?) did some
preliminary studies at one point that suggested 88.5 or 89.3 might work
at low power in Boston, if second-adjacent interference waivers were to
be granted by WERS and WBUR, but that seems unlikely.

Another suggestion that was floated at some point was to move WRBB to
101.3, the frequency briefly used in Boston by the old WFNX translator
from the top of the Hancock. The FCC's current rules would allow a
translator on 101.3 co-located with WFNX's current transmitter on One
Financial Center, but they would not allow a class D originating FM
station there with identical technical parameters. That's a political
issue, not an engineering one.