do people know AM still exists?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Fri Jan 9 18:56:04 EST 2009

>>While I cannot see AM dying in the US the way it has across most of
Canada it is becoming a vast wasteland that would horrify Newton
Minnow today.<<

AM is dying in Canada because the government wants it that way.  One could argue, I suppose, that the way FCC regulates radio in the US has effectively marginalized AM, but at least here there's no specific government policy to kill AM.

Canada is gradually moving all radio programming to FM stations and taking the AMs down permanently, although they remain "notified" to the other North American countries for treaty purposes and interference calculations.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF - WEEI - WEEI-FM - WKAF
WMKK - WRKO - WVEI - WVEI-FM