no HD on BZ?

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Mon Jan 5 14:47:24 EST 2009

At 02:04 PM 1/5/2009, Peter Q. George wrote:

>I believe that 'BZ's main telco STL path requires them to go through
>upwards of 15 Central Offices to get that audio from Soldiers Field
>Road to Hull.

It shouldn't - nowadays in a Baby Bell special circuits within a LATA
usually go from the CO for one terminus to a central location serving
the whole LATA, via a high-capacity digital circuit, then to the CO
for the other terminus via another high-capacity digital circuit.

In this case the studios and transmitter are in different area codes,
and so presumably in different LATAs. In that case, instead of the
central location serving the whole LATA, substitute a long-distance
carrier ("the cloud").

Unless the analog program lines are running on the same type of
Western Electric hardware used in the 1960s they would follow one of
the two types of path described in the two preceding paragraphs.
Daisy-chaining through a series of COs is, IMHO, out of the question.
As a side note, nowadays most "analog" radio program circuits are
actually digital circuits with A/D and D/A at the termini. 'BZ,
however, may still be copper from each terminus to its CO, with
conventional telco equalizers.

>There's always microwave (good luck with SO much multipath prevalent
>on that water path to Hull).

Multipath doesn't occur over water, but refraction can occur (curable
by space diversity reception). There would not be a direct microwave
shot from studios to transmitter, though - it would have to be hopped
via, say, the top of the Pru.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/starcity.html