WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Jan 4 02:59:35 EST 2009

<<On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 02:09:30 -0500, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> Neither had a high-speed microprocessor (and all the RF hash it
> generates) at its core, as an iPod or its competitors do.

> Ever tried using that Walkman or old-style transistor radio on AM near a
> laptop computer? Noise city...at least in the vicinity of my laptop.

More to the point, for an AM antenna to be even remotely plausible, it
has to be much larger than the current generation of portable audio
devices.  (Think iPod Nano -- a few millimeters thick, a few square
centimeters in area at most, and all of that taken up by the logic
board.)  These things can contain FM tuner because the headphone cord
is just long enough (about 1/8 wavelength) to act as a usable antenna
in the 3-meter VHF band.

-GAWollman