Saying Goodbye - Was: Nightcap

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Jan 4 01:56:30 EST 2009

At 12:02 AM 1/4/2009, Blaine Thompson wrote:

>I know Lewis Lazare at the Sun-Times and Phil Rosenthal at the Tribune
>are trying to cover the beat, but nobody did it as well as Robert
>Feder.

Who covers it in Boston these days?  For years, there were fulltime
reporters like Bill Buchanan and Dean Johnson who focused on what was
new in radio.  Susan Bickelhaupt of the Globe wasn't always accurate,
but at least she covered the beat. Then, gradually, the Globe cut
back.  Clea Simon did the radio reporting twice a week (she was kept
as a part-time employee for ages) till October, and to my knowledge,
there is nobody covering that beat now.  The Herald does have Jessica
Heslam doing the radio reporting, but she is very limited by the
small number of words she is allotted for the column.  Dean Johnson
wrote a much longer and more in-depth column when he was still
there.  But I guess the newspapers in Boston don't feel that radio is
that important any more.