Saying Goodbye - Was: Nightcap

Pamela Riesmeyer pjries@gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:42:43 EST 2009

Long-time lurker here - just chiming in to say that no matter how
it's sliced, it's no fun.

Granted, this was an extraordinary circumstance, but many of us knew
we were gone at WMAQ a good six months before the final day. Those of
us who were not getting jobs at WBBM, were asked to talk for weeks on
the air about how wonderful the news "dream team" was going to be
when those who were getting jobs joined NewsRadio 780, and how great
it was going to be for listeners.

Those were not fun times.  We did get to say goodbye, on that last
day, though, and I think just about everyone held it together pretty well.

(I also worked in Boston at WHDH radio for about 4 years in the early
1980's and I really enjoy reading your posts about the city and the
people I remember)

Back to lurking...

Pam Riesmeyer

At 08:17 PM 1/3/2009, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
>One place I worked, you were told you wer egoing to be let go right before
>your last air shift and were VERY CLEARLY instructed to NOT say ANYTHING to
>your listeners about this being your last shift.. you were told to go on as
>if it were a normal shift.
>
>The PD (this was a country station) also removed "Take this job and shove
>it" from the hard drive, because on more then one occassion, the DJ would
>play that as their last song.. and they didn't like that.
>
>Paul

> > was handled. That audience deserved a chance to say goodbye to him and
> > for him to do the same. Doesn't anybody at CBS remember that
> > ultimately this is a one on one business, the host (station) and
> > listener.<<
> >

> > Letting a fired air personality say goodbye on the air went the way of the
> > dodo bird decades ago.  The few rotten apples who abused the privilege
> > (think Roby Yonge on WABC) spoiled it for everyone else.
> >

> > Sid Schweiger
> > IT Manager, Entercom New England

Pamela Riesmeyer
Wings of Mercury Web Designs