WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 01:28:14 EST 2009

On Fri, 1/2/09, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to think so, and I'd very much like to
> believe that the powers that be at Soldiers Field Road would
> like to be able to reverse the decision...but I'm
> guessing the budget pressures behind this decision are
> coming from a level much higher than Allston.
>
> Could a huge flood of letters and postcards and e-mails
> give Boston's management the ammunition to make the case
> to New York to free up the money needed to bring Steve back?
> Again, I'd love to think that's so...but in this day
> and age, it would probably just mean some other huge, nasty
> cut getting made somewhere else, and the effect would be the
> same in the end: the content gets thinner, the audience
> drifts away, the death spiral continues apace.
>
> The long run? That's not Wall Street's problem, and
> if an entire industry gets murdered along the way...well,
> that's not Wall Street's problem, either.
>
> (And yeah, I'm still angry.)

Only way it happens is if they lose a lot of ad revenue in that time slot. I'm guessing they already figured that's not the case, and that they'll simply move ads into the more crowded dayparts, if inventory remains.

It's all about the Benjamins (cue up P.Diddy or whatever he's calling himself in 2009).