Michael Savage vs The Fairness Doctrine

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:23:01 EST 2009

Donna Halper wrote:
> The repeal of the doctrine was part of a long-standing (and I must
> admit very successful) effort on the part of conservatives to re-make
> talk radio and put forth a specific viewpoint to the exclusion of all
> others.

The weak spot there, as I see it, is the brand. And it's more than
Skippy versus Jif. Liberal talk radio has not proved profitable even
with yeoman efforts to engage it in considerable markets.  How can
conservatives impact upon a liberal's ability to deliver a profitable
radio product? Alan Colmes is a brilliant guy with a great product and
is unapologetically liberal. After that, the list gets blurry.  Now, if
one draws upon the conservative-corporate-driving-radio angle to explain
the paucity of successful liberal left talk it loses more and more
footing as ad revenues dry up across the board and all money begins to
look green.

Bill O'Neill