Michael Savage vs The Fairness Doctrine

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 13:01:30 EST 2009

What about Rachel Maddow?  Or Stephanie Miller?  Or Randi Rhodes?
Granted, besides Colmes those are the only three I can think of.
(shrugs)  But then again, I could just as easily argue that there's
perhaps three or four really skilled conserva-talkers and the rest are
just hacks and blowhards.

I think part of the reason why the coffers are so bare for liberal talk
radio is, perhaps ironically, because of the success of NPR...which is
decidedly more centrist.  If NPR didn't exist, I suspect a lot of its
listeners would be available to gravitate to a quality liberal talk product.

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

Donna Halper wrote:
 > The repeal of the doctrine was part of a long-standing (and I must
 > admit very successful) effort on the part of conservatives to re-make
 > talk radio and put forth a specific viewpoint to the exclusion of all
 > others.

The weak spot there, as I see it, is the brand. And it's more than
Skippy versus Jif. Liberal talk radio has not proved profitable even
with yeoman efforts to engage it in considerable markets.  How can
conservatives impact upon a liberal's ability to deliver a profitable
radio product? Alan Colmes is a brilliant guy with a great product and
is unapologetically liberal. After that, the list gets blurry.  Now, if
one draws upon the conservative-corporate-driving-radio angle to explain
the paucity of successful liberal left talk it loses more and more
footing as ad revenues dry up across the board and all money begins to
look green.

Bill O'Neill