HD or nothing sometimes

Jeff Lehmann jjlehmann@comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 21:46:33 EST 2009

> Seems to me like sometimes that sentence could be right. Being in
> Merrimack NH, there is a LP FM in Londonderry NH called WLLO, Londonderry
> Schools own station. Because of them, I could not pick up WBLM in
> Portland. Now, with my HD Radio, I turn the antenna towards Portland, and
> after about 4 seconds, the reciever picks up the HD signal and completely
> takes over WLLO! With their transmitter somewhere north of Portland, thats
> at least 80 miles by air! Same with WWBB in Providence, usually recieves
> interference from WWHQ in Meredith, but the HD signal always comes in
> great whether the analog signal does or not.
> But, WWLI's HD siganl does not come in very well at any time. And WPRO-
> fm's HD signal is rarely ever there. Providence is quite a distance
> though, lucky to be picking them up at all i guess.

Having a directional FM antenna set up at a house is more than 95% of FM
radio listeners have though. I've got an APS-13 antenna on the roof here,
and obviously do quite well decoding the HDs when I point it in the right
direction, depending on how clear the adjacents are.

I live about 20 miles south of Boston, and am able to decode the major Class
B Boston FMs in HD fine as I drive around. 97.7 WKAF, which is a few miles
closer is very difficult to hold a steady decode on, being only a class A.
93.7 WMKK comes in about 90% of the time in HD in the car around here.

Jeff Lehmann
Hanson, MA